Spiritual House Cleaning Part 2
written by Charisse Graves
Beloved, now that you have worked through preparing your heart, we will get on with the fairly unpleasant task of dusting out and scrubbing off those things that hinder our relationship with our great and holy God. You will be amazed how gracious God is in purging the things not of Him out of your life. Just to give you an idea of the broad range of issues I will list some personal examples that were strongholds in my life that I renounced and repented of in the strong name of Jesus. This is in no way an exhaustive list and I actually had almost one hundred different hindrances that came to mind. If your list is shorter praise God for His grace!
- Participating in séances as a kid (my birthday is close to Halloween and it was done in ignorance and foolishness, but unwittingly gave ground to the enemy).
- Went to a palm reader in my teens with a friend’s mom and on another occasion had my palm read by a “christian” palm reader. I did not see the error. I had no spiritual discernment because although I thought I was a Christian, in fact, I did not come to a complete understanding of Christ until my mid-twenties.
- A friend paid for a massage as a gift and the person performed Reiki. (I did not know at the time, but I did question her about the heat coming from her hands. Not until a couple years ago did I learn about the spiritual aspect of Reiki.)
*Important Note: This was done innocently, but even if it was done on purpose:
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
“Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1
“The Lord is compassionate and gracious, Slow to anger and abounding in loving-kindness… He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His loving-kindness toward those who fear Him. As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgression from us. Just as a father has compassion his children, So the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.” Psalm 103:8-9, 10-14
- Used a Ouija board purely out of curiosity and found “spiritual things” fascinating. I have not done Yoga, but it is spiritually hazardous also.
- As a child was inappropriately touched by an adult. (This requires forgiveness towards others and the Lord to remove any sense of shame.)
*Important Note: In my experience, rarely have I met a person that has not been touched by sexual abuse at some point in their life. This is one of the greatest weapons of the enemy because he knows the power of the secret will trap people in shame and fear for the rest of their lives. God says, “Do not fear”.
“Do not fear, O land, rejoice and be glad, For the Lord has done great things… Then I will make up to you for the years That the swarming locust has eaten… You will have plenty to eat and be satisfied And praise the name of the Lord your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you; Then My people will never be put to shame. Thus you will know that I am the Lord you God, And there is no other; And My people will never be put to shame.” Joel 2:21, 25-27
“Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you.” Psalm 55:22
These are painful issues to face, but God is faithful and will see you through.
“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
“…greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.” 1 John 4:4.
“And you were dead in your trespasses and sins… Among them we too ALL formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)… Ephesians 2:1, 3-5
Part 3 will focus on renewing our minds in our marvelous Redeemer and Restorer Christ Jesus.